Monday, April 03, 2017

One "Gil" of a Guy

I love this photo I took of Enrique Gil at the My Ex and Whys blogcon. Gwapo pa rin kahit may sakit!
A few weeks ago, I was at a press conference for an upcoming ABS-CBN show when a colleague told me that My Ex and Whys star Enrique Gil had been asking after my mother’s health. (For those of you who may not know, my mother Tinna Bonifacio, StarStudio magazine’s Senior Editor, suffered a hemorrhagic stroke last June.)

“Nung nakasama namin si Enrique sa isang shoot, humihingi talaga siya ng updates tungkol kay Ms. Tinna,” my colleague said. “Kinukwento pa nga niya sa amin na baguhan pa lang siya, kilala na niya kayong dalawa. Noon pa daw sinusuportahan niyo na siya. Kaya siguro super concerned siya.”

As my colleague talked, I felt a lump the size of a tennis ball lodge itself in my throat—a telltale sign that I was on the verge of tears. Since we were at a press conference, I tried not to cry, although I’m sure my colleague noticed my glossy eyes and trembling lower lip.

I became emotional because I was surprised and touched by Quen’s concern. Although now that I think about it, I should have expected that from him. Quen and I have known each other for years and despite what his detractors say, he’s a very caring guy. When I had my heart broken in 2012, I visited The Princess and I set and hung out with Quen in his tent. He listened to my tale of woe and gave me advice on how to deal.

This photo of me and Enrique was taken after our heart-to-heart talk on the set of The Princess and I.
But since his career took off, we haven’t had many chances to bond like that. Part of me expected our friendship to deteriorate as a result, which is why I was surprised when my colleague told me what Quen said. That was when I realized that I do have a friend for keeps in him. After all, they say someone’s not really your friend if they don’t say good things about you when you’re not around—and he did.

When it came time for the My Ex and Whys bloggers’ conference, I decided to skip it even if I really wanted to see Quen and his perennial onscreen partner Liza Soberano (who also happens to be a good friend of mine). It’s embarrassing to share this with the world, but at the time I didn’t have enough money to commute to ABS-CBN. On the morning of the blogcon, I used my last P200 on adult diapers for my mother. Luckily some friends stepped in to help, which is how I found myself in the 9501 Restaurant’s Chronicle Room at 6:00 PM, waiting for LizQuen.

When Quen arrived with Liza and My Ex and Whys director Cathy Garcia-Molina, I squeezed my way through the crowd to grab a seat on the floor in front of Quen. How he spotted me through all the flashbulbs going off in his face, I don’t know; but he did, and he waved at me.

I waved back and mouthed a hello. He mouthed something in return, but I couldn’t tell what it was, so Quen motioned for me to move closer to the stage. When I did, he whispered, “Usap tayo after this. I want to know how your Mom is doing.”

Long story short, after the blogcon, Quen and I had a quick conversation in one corner while Liza was being interviewed. I brought him up to speed on what happened to my mother, including how her rehabilitation is going. Once again, he listened patiently and gave me great words of advice and comfort. Quen ended the conversation by hugging me and saying, “Jules, I know it’s hard but your Mom needs you. Strong ka naman, eh. Keep going. Remember, andito lang kami, ha?”

On my way home, I thought about Quen. For me, the problem with having celebrities as friends is I’m always petrified they’ll forget about me. After all, they don't say "Out of sight, out of mind" for nothing, right? But Quen proved I should give my friends more credit than that. After all, we hadn’t spoken for months before the blogcon, and yet we picked up right where we left off when we saw each other again.

Quen, in case you’re reading this, I want to let you know how happy I am to know you have my back even if we don’t see each other as often as I’d like. No matter where your career takes you, I hope you’ll stay as kind as you are now. You’re one “Gil” of a guy, and you deserve everything you have now. Thank you for being so concerned about my mother.

Enrique always made sure to accommodate my mother, no matter how packed his schedule was.
From me and my mother, belated happy birthday, Quen. May God bless you more and more!

18 comments

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this untold story aboout Quen. Indeed, his eyes will tell how good a man he is. He always have time for people and even if he is rushing, he finds time to smile and wave. I don't regret rooting and spending my time for him and Liza. Such good persons. May there'll be more of their kind in showbiz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is something to be prouder offor our Quenito. Sorry for misjudging you during your early years in showbiz because of your unusual ways which i found maangas before. But what's more important is now coz i love you and hopia to the moon and back ����

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this blog. Mas lalo namin minahal si Quen and ang LiZQuen. Ndi tlg kme nagkamali ng minahal... lizQuen forever na tlg. Ang genuine nila parehas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! I always say, QUEN is a good guy, at itong blog mo is another proof kung bakit he touches peoples' hearts, kung bakit his directors at iba pang nakatrabaho ay all praises din sa ugali niya, at kung bakit we support and love him. Na-teary eyed ako sa sinulat mo, pinasa mo sa throat ko yung lump the size of a tennis ball..I salute you, Enrique Gil!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for sharing....sobrang bait talaga ni enrique kahit di niya ako ganun kakilala tuwing b-day ko at kahit anong celebration binabati niya ako sobrang bait niya at accommodating don't worry quen mahal na mahal ka namin.....kung di siya mabuti tao di siya bibigyan ni LORD ng mga blessings I LOVE YOU Quen.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long Live The King of the Gil!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing.truly his a good man that's why everybody loves quen!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing.truly his a good man that's why everybody loves quen!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this... naiyak aq. One of a kind talaga ang isang Enrique Gil! Gaya nga ng sabi ni Hopie, I hope mas marami pa ang tunay na makakilala sa totoong siya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is touching...thank you for sharing this and I hope your mom will be okay soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Naiyak ako!😭 Thank you Jules for sharing! Everytime I hear good things like this aboUt Quen, not from the press but fr. people he meets off cam makes me so happy. Knowing that I am supporting a genuine nice person gives me a reason to love him even more! ❤
    I hope your mom will get better. Pray ka lang po, lift it up to the lord. My dad actually is in the hospital right this very moment that I am writing this message. I don't know Quen personally but reading this heartfelt story of Quen lifted my spirit that everything will be alright! ❤ Quen and ofcourse Liza is my happy pill. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Naiyak ako!😭 Thank you Jules for sharing! Everytime I hear good things like this aboUt Quen, not from the press but fr. people he meets off cam makes me so happy. Knowing that I am supporting a genuine nice person gives me a reason to love him even more! ❤
    I hope your mom will get better. Pray ka lang po, lift it up to the lord. My dad actually is in the hospital right this very moment that I am writing this message. I don't know Quen personally but reading this heartfelt story of Quen lifted my spirit that everything will be alright! ❤ Quen and ofcourse Liza is my happy pill. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uhhhhhh! Thank you for sharing this Jules ���� NainLove nanaman ako ng bongga kay Quenito ���� I love him not because of his beautiful face, but because of his AMAZING SOUL.������ Nakakaproud na sa tamang tao ako humahanga. ��������

    ReplyDelete
  14. one of a kind.... God bless you more and more... quen and liza

    ReplyDelete
  15. This made me cry. God bless you Jules and your Mom, Enrique and Liza.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing these info about Quen. As I always say, it is not his face that I loved about him but his talent and heart. Many may have judged him and some continue to judge him but I guess its the people who get to know him more that validates how good-hearted he is. Again, a testament that the image of the person "cultured" by the media is not ALWAYS true.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nakakaiyak naman to! Quen, bless your good heart. its rare to find someone like you. i know you will always be blessed because you have the purest heart. we love you Quen!

    ReplyDelete

© Jules Explains it All
Maira Gall