Sunday, April 30, 2017

Making it up to McCoy

I'm glad I saw this on Twitter. Otherwise I would've missed seeing McCoy de Leon work a crowd like nobody's business.
The first time I met McCoy de Leon—he of It’s Showtime and Pinoy Big Brother Lucky 7—I ran away just when I was about to have a photo taken with him. That happened in the summer of 2015, and since then I’ve been eager for a chance to make it up to McCoy. Nahihiya pa rin kasi talaga ako sa ginawa ko, kahit sigurado akong siya mismo hindi na niya naaalala yun.

That chance came today, when I read on Twitter that McCoy would be performing at Ever Gotesco Commonwealth. Since that mall is just two jeepney rides away from my apartment, I decided to go watch McCoy do his thing. It wasn’t until I was speeding down Commonwealth Avenue in a cab that I realized I hadn’t told anyone on McCoy’s team that I was going. I started to panic. I usually make arrangements with an artist’s handler or road manager whenever I go to a mall show to make sure I can get in. But in my haste to get there on time, I forgot to do that today.

Luckily, I didn’t have any trouble getting into the Mall Atrium Area of Ever Gotesco Commonwealth. I took up a position at the foot of the stage while McCoy sang “Hinahanap-hanap Kita” and handed out flowers to some people in the crowd. I’ll say this for McCoy—he’s not an outsize vocalist, but he can carry a tune well enough. I really enjoyed his performance, and judging by the volume of their screams, so did his fans.

McCoy then pulled a girl (apparently she won some sort of contest sponsored by the mall) onstage and serenaded her with “Ako'y Sa 'yo, Ika'y Akin” before giving her an autographed photo and a big bouquet of flowers. Aww.

McCoy: *singing* Fan: "Elisse, pahiram muna nitong Mokya mo kahit sandali lang." Haha!
But if I’m being honest, McCoy’s dance prod was my favorite part of the whole show. Watching him shake his groove thing, I was struck by how much he reminded me of another Pinoy Big Brother alum—my good friend Gerald Anderson. IMHO, they have the same boyish charm and something about the way McCoy dances reminds me so much of Gerald.

Watch him dance to the Chainsmokers' "Closer" below:


But the crowd really went wild when he danced to Bruno Mars' "Versace On the Floor."


Furthermore, McCoy comes across as shy and seemingly unaware of his appeal. Not many people know this, but before he became famous, Gerald used to be the same way. Eventually he came out of his shell and became one of the Kapamilya network’s foremost leading men. I’m sure McCoy can follow in his footsteps. I believe in him and the power of his tandem with my girl Elisse Joson, which will be highlighted in the forthcoming teleserye Kung Kailangan Mo Ako.

After the show, McCoy’s handler Ate Gidget dela Cuesta took me backstage so I could have a photo taken with him. But before that, I had McCoy sign a photo for a fan in the crowd who never stopped screaming for him during the show. I loved her enthusiasm, so I decided to reward her for it. (Girl, if you’re reading this, DM me a photo of you with McCoy’s autograph. I forgot to take one earlier.)

Today I discovered how much McCoy cares about his fans. Not only did he toss his jacket into the crowd so one lucky fan could take it home as a souvenir, but he also said he prefers personalizing autographs whenever possible.

“Ay, teka. Ano pala pangalan nung nagpapapirma nito?” McCoy asked as he scribbled on the photo I handed him. “Gusto ko sana ilagay.”

When I admitted I forgot to ask, he replied, “Sayang. Mas maganda kasi yung dedication kung may pangalan.” He seemed genuinely disappointed, so I told him I’d get the fan’s name next time. I don’t know about you guys, but I think it’s very nice that McCoy cares that much about the autographs he signs. Most artists would just sign their names and walk away, but not him. If he treats his fans that way, I can only imagine how well he treats Elisse.

When my moment finally came, I made sure not to run away. Hehe. I went home happy that I was able to make it up to McCoy. Thanks, man! In case you're reading this, sana next time magkita tayo kasama mo na si Elisse. I'd love to be your third wheel. Haha!

P.S. Check out more photos from Mccoy InvadesEverGotesco on my Instagram @julianmauricio.

1 comment

  1. Nice๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete

© Jules Explains it All
Maira Gall